Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Divine Word University Cultural Day 2009

The Divine Word University Cultural Day was held on Sunday August 22, 2009 on a beautiful sunny day. 

Cultural groups consisting of DWU students, staff members and their relatives danced throughout the day. Some relatives came all the way from their provinces to dress and dance with their sons, daughter or nieces and nephews. 

Tourists and locals came to watch and many stayed late into the afternoon too excited to leave early. 


















Young man from Eastern Highlands province.

I was captivated by the colors of the costumes, the differences in their attire and also some of the dances I have never seen before, there was a wider range of Singsings than other cultural events I had been too.

   
An Asoro Mud man rests after performing.

I took so many photos I could not decide which ones to upload onto my blog, but these were chosen firstly to display the wide range of cultural groups and I liked them.
   
Another Eastern Highlands group pose before heading to the dance arena.

I was also thrilled that the students were not embarrassed or ashamed when I asked to take photos and did not lose patience when I wanted to take more.

   
New Ireland women wait their turn.

 
Siassi Cultural Group from Morobe warm up.
 
   
The Madang group make their presence felt.

.  
A Central student serves a customer in full traditional dress.

 
On their way to the field these lasses from Central Province are happy to stop and pose in their traditional finery.

 
This Western Highlands student was one of the first dressed and at the field.

 
The Trobriand Islands students lost in the Tapioka Dance.

 
The Sepik students in full swing.

 
The Namatanai dukduks captivated the crowd.

 
The Sepik ladies take a break.

 
The Huli dancers were a major crowd pleaser.

 
This young man who hails from Daru danced with the West Papuans Cultural Group on the day. 

 It was definitely one of the best cultural shows I have been too!

No comments:

Post a Comment